I love this little model for my new super hero cape! He originally came to be a model for my new studio lighting but it wasn't quite ready yet, but it will be soon.
So this is how I made the cape.
I used a bib as a guide and then just made it a little longer (make sure to cut a seam allowance) I actually had the red material and my mom was getting rid of the blue. Yippy, score. I used spray adhesive to put the stars on. It didn't work very well :( Make sure to sew them on too. It is a little late for me unless I hands stitch it. Anyways just learn from my mistake.
Then I sewed the casing for the wire (I got the wire at the dollar store in the floral area). You should probably cut the casing on the bias but i am a really lazy sewer and just cut it straight across. Don't tell my mother-in-law she would roll over in her grave :0) Oh how I miss you Mom!!!! Now I sewed the casing onto one of the pieces of the cape.
Make sure to turn the ends in you don't want to leave a sharp edge that could hurt the baby.
I always seem to miss at least one picture during the process (mainly because I always make it up as I go along) Once you have your casing on and the ends turned in sandwich the two pieces together with the wrong sides together and sew. I added some red velcro to each side a viola I'm done. Originally I made a mask out of black felt but I didn't like how it looked so I bought one at walmat that came with a cape for $6. You may just want to use the material from that cape to make your newborn cape. Since I already had my new cape my boys inherited it :0)
Isn't he so darling!